Home Insurance

Compare home insurance with Insurance Doctor

Your home is probably the most expensive purchase you have made so you may find yourself asking, “Where can I find a cheap home insurance quote?”. Look no further - use the Insurance Doctors free online home comparison system for a cheap home insurance quote today. We compare quotes from detached houses to flats or terrace houses to bungalows. Quotes displayed are provided by our panel of UK insurance providers.

You can compare buildings and contents insurance, buildings insurance or contents insurance by filling out our online home insurance form. The form is quick and easy to complete and will allow you to compare home insurance quotes from a range of different providers including Swinton, Endsleigh and American Express.

Buildings insurance can cover the structure of your home and contents insurance can cover your possessions within your home.

To compare home insurance quotes all you will have to do is tell us bit about yourself, your property and the level of insurance cover you require and within minutes we may be able to return multiple house insurance quotes from a variety of insurance providers.

As well as comparing the price of your home insurance you can also compare the excess amount and if legal and accidental damage cover is included in the policy. You can buy a home insurance policy online or call the insurer or broker to complete the purchase over the phone.

Give us a call 0333 577 7626

Home Insurance Guide

Many kinds of insurance are optional, but most homeowners consider that having home and contents insurance is a must. And in fact having home insurance is usually contractually required when a homeowner has a mortgage.

Home insurance in the UK typically includes two separate policies, one of which covers the house and buildings, and one of which covers the contents. Homeowners could choose to buy both from the same provider, but may also buy the policies separately from different providers.

  • The house and buildings part of the policy includes the house as well as all fixtures and fittings, such as fitted kitchen components, bath and shower, fitted cupboards, and fitted decorative elements. Outbuildings such as garages and garden sheds are included, but not all policies cover things like fences, gates, driveways, boundary fences, and swimming pools.
  • Contents usually includes everything in the house that a homeowner would take with them when they moved.

What does a Home Insurance Policy Cover?

While basic policies can vary, most cover damage and loss that occurs due to the following causes:

  • Fire, lightning, earthquake, explosion
  • Subsidence, landslip, or heave
  • Storms and floods
  • Malicious damage
  • Theft of property, or damage caused by attempted theft
  • Leaking water tanks and pipes
  • Oil leaks from heating systems
  • Falling trees or tree branches
  • Breakage of TV, radio, or satellite receivers
  • Impact from an aircraft, vehicle, or animal
  • Riot

For most policies, exclusions are things such as general wear and tear, costs of home maintenance, and damage or breakdown that occurs as a result of poor workmanship.

​Most policies also cover a certain amount of personal liability. For example, if someone is injured while in the home and the homeowner is found to be legally responsible, insurance may cover some or all of the compensation and legal costs.


Special Coverage and Optional Extras

  • ​Home insurance providers tend to also offer a wide range of optional coverage. For example:
  • ​Coverage for accidental damage not covered by the standard policy, such as accidental damage caused by the homeowner, or accidental damage of possessions that are taken outside the home.
  • ​Coverage for legal advice and other legal expenses for incidents relating to personal injury disputes, property disputes, and other specified types of disputes.
  • ​Identity theft cover, which provides financial compensation for any costs incurred when reclaiming identity.
  • ​Home emergency cover, for costs associated with repairs and labour. Some policies may also cover accommodation costs if an emergency forces someone to spend the night in a hotel.

How Much Insurance Does a Homeowner Need?

The amount a homeowner is insured for is the maximum amount their insurance provider might pay out if the home and its contents are completely destroyed by an event that is covered by the policy. So the primary concern for the homeowner could be to make sure that this sum might actually cover the costs of rebuilding the home, and of replacing all of their possessions with new items. This is the main reason why new-for-old is usually superior to indemnity insurance in terms of the level of coverage it provides.

Note that some insurance providers offer a different kind of policy with levels of insurance, rather than basing the insured sum on a valuation or appraisal. This is also known as bedroom-rated cover, because the coverage level is typically determined by the size of the house, using the number of bedrooms it has as a guide. For example, a policy might automatically provide a maximum cover of £500,000 for the home and £50,000 for the contents. In this case, as with other kinds of home insurance, it’s still likely to be the homeowner’s responsibility to ensure that the policy limit is high enough to cover the cost of rebuilding and replacing.

For any given policy, there is typically a limit that applies to valuable items such as jewellery, art, and ornaments, and sometimes electronic equipment. If a homeowner’s standard policy doesn’t cover the value of their valuables, they may need to purchase extra insurance to make sure they’re fully protected.

Tips to Reduce Home Insurance Premiums

  • Buying home and contents policies from the same company may provide a homeowner with a small discount.
  • Some providers charge around 5% less if the homeowner could pay their premium annually rather than monthly.
  • Increasing the excess on a policy might reduce the premium, but this could mean paying a little more out of pocket each time a claim is made.
  • If a homeowner installs a home security system with alarms, BSI-approved locks and other components this security system could reduce the premiums on both home and contents policies.


HEAD OFFICE: Building 2, Church Court, Morley,  Leeds, LS27 9TN

E-mail address:contactus@insurancedoctors.co.uk | Tel: 0333 577 7626


Insurance doctors are a trading style of theid (man) ltd who are authorised and regulated by the financial conduct authority under registration number 726667

 All Rights Reserved | Insurance Doctors


Your piece of mind with great insurance that suits your needs

Contact us today to find out more